Rebirth skills, Ultimate Skill & Treasure island

Ale

Staff member
Rebirth skills are a very essential thing to the game, although I think the current system where you just rebirth to learn the new skills is not exactly the way to go for it. Instead I think there should be a same type of book like for the ultimate skill, but a bit easier way to acquire those skill books.

Now to earn these rebirth skills, there could be made quests which you have to complete or they could be dropped somewhere? I haven't yet entirely thought through as to how they should be earned, but I do believe they should have an additional step in order to use them. It makes the step to the endgame a little bit more "grindy", which I think is nice.

As for the ultimate skill, the 1-5 page crafts are a nice idea, but I think it requires a revamp on how to acquire the the treasure maps or then the skill itself. Currently you only have to farm doge or buy daily gift boxes to get the treasure maps, then you just go exchange them directly to the boxes which earn you those items to get the ultimate skills. Now that's lame when you say it like that.

The treasure islands could be instead used to create new events of some sort? Maybe those treasure islands could be used to earn the rebirth skills instead?

Any thoughts ?

Caelestia

I believe RB skills are a core feature of everyone's gameplay at this point. My personal opinion is that adding extra steps to obtain them doesn't actually add anything extra to the game, it is just more pointless grind to achieve skills we've always been using.

Maybe this concept could be applied to the development of new skills, since it is new content and makes the players more excited to actually obtain them.

The only issue i'd see with the development of new skills is how difficult it is to obtain extra skill points but there are ways around that too.

NobleAvalon

I believe RB skills are a core feature of everyone's gameplay at this point. My personal opinion is that adding extra steps to obtain them doesn't actually add anything extra to the game, it is just more pointless grind to achieve skills we've always been using.

Maybe this concept could be applied to the development of new skills, since it is new content and makes the players more excited to actually obtain them.

The only issue i'd see with the development of new skills is how difficult it is to obtain extra skill points but there are ways around that too.
I like the idea of new skills more than reworking how to obtain rebirth skills.
Skill points aren’t an issue, the point of the game is to optimize your build with the skill point limitation that get to be pretty much ignored once you rebirth plenty of times.

new skills, make them obtainable by doing class quests. For example, maybe a new skill requires someone to kill X amount of monsters with a certain skill to unlock it.

chogs

Keep the rb system the same, a quest line to obtain new cool skills would be nice instead of this page 5 shenanigans. People will allocate their sp accordingly so I don't think that's an issue.

Katara

Translator
I like the idea of having multiple options for new skills effects. For example lets say there are 3 different scrolls for Prayer of healing:

One gives op range
One adds knock backs to each wave
One gives the skill endurance frame

We could pick and choose which we want to apply, or we could change it up in sq.

Caelestia

I like the idea of having multiple options for new skills effects. For example lets say there are 3 different scrolls for Prayer of healing:

One gives op range

We could pick and choose which we want to apply, or we could change it up in sq.
i really like this idea, would be willing to grind for this!
Another scroll system different from the b3 ones

Ale

Staff member

This topic wasn't made to discuss new skills, am here to discuss how the game should be progressed from the beginning to the end from a new players perspective, so that the new player doesn't run out of things to do within the first 2-3 months. They get new skills constantly when they start leveling from 1 to 75, and it wouldn't hurt to have another addition that it requires you to do something else in order to acquire the "new" skills (rebirth skills). They are indeed the skills that you end up using in the endgame, except for Tia's fog lol.

They are a core feature for the current player base which has played the game forever the same way and gotten so used to having everything they have right now. But hey am here to just throw out thoughts and ideas on "new content" that a 2-man team can achieve without players running the same darn stages everyday and waiting for months. New content being changing the way the game is progressed towards the endgame and actually having A LOT more to do before reaching the endgame status.

There's so much in the game that could be changed and reused.

lucasef

My opinion is that it would be good to stop trying to hamper features we've used for years. It's okay to take a while to make new content, but what we want is new content, not things we've already achieved being made difficult. The average player already struggles to acquire much with the doge system and myth without devildoom.
Wanting to add difficulty to the basic thing doesn't motivate anyone to play, much less new players who just want to get to the endgame as soon as possible and keep up with those who have been playing for a long time.

pawpets4ever

I think we just need limited/event content in general to keep us occupied like other games have. No need to rework the skill system except minor (from a programming perspective) tweaks for balance. Where's that summer event @Teles? poggers

You could make an event that helps you make progress towards 85 skill that rotates every so often (weekly, biweekly, etc) as a part of reward trade-in among other redeemable rewards (just getting some ideas from existing games)

NobleAvalon

I think we just need limited/event content in general to keep us occupied like other games have. No need to rework the skill system except minor (from a programming perspective) tweaks for balance. Where's that summer event @Teles? poggers

You could make an event that helps you make progress towards 85 skill that rotates every so often (weekly, biweekly, etc) as a part of reward trade-in among other redeemable rewards (just getting some ideas from existing games)
If you want player retention and new players. This is a great idea

Ale

Staff member
My opinion is that it would be good to stop trying to hamper features we've used for years. It's okay to take a while to make new content, but what we want is new content, not things we've already achieved being made difficult. The average player already struggles to acquire much with the doge system and myth without devildoom.
Wanting to add difficulty to the basic thing doesn't motivate anyone to play, much less new players who just want to get to the endgame as soon as possible and keep up with those who have been playing for a long time.

Well the thing is, all you did was level up to 70 and use a rebirth book, if that's what you want to call achieving. But I beg to differ still, I think there could be a small extra step in order to achieve the rebirth/new skills, community doesn't :D

One gives op range

Well, we got something out of this discussion. Now there's just something to think of for every character and @Teles to confirm whether they're doable or not :D

pawpets4ever

eir prayer endu would be op af and make healing ezmode... minor tweaks seem more reasonable unless the content really is so hard that you need to endu.

maybe a system that's more like you have x total skills you can modify (let's say 3) and you can choose the 3 that best fit your situation. kind of like how WoW has such modifications. but honestly this would be a pain to implement given the number of skills there are and there are much better pursuits (hello seasonal content)

and remember, usually there's a whole balance team dedicated to game balance while reborn has few devs doing everything basically.